Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I Hate the Mail

I've always enjoyed getting the mail. I look forward to that part of my day just to see what someone might have sent me, although it's usually just bills. Even lately, with all the sympathy cards hitting the mailbox, I still enjoy it. I enjoy reading people's words and knowing they care enough to let me know. We've even received cards from people we don't know-they heard our story through the church and wanted us to know they're praying for us.

But today, today when I thought I was going to have a good day, I hate the mail. There were the cards. But behind the cards was Huggies, Similac, and Williams Funeral Home. Huggies decided to send diapers today. Newborn diapers. Have I mentioned before that all my diapers were returned to the store by my dear, sweet friends so that I didn't have to look at them when I got home. And Huggies decided to send a cruel reminder today. Similac sent coupons. I don't use formula, but it's still a nasty reminder of what I don't have. And the funeral home sent us the bill along with a thank you card for our patronage. REALLY? Do they think I WANTED to use them? A thank you card after a funeral just seems a bit on the cruel side. I mean, I just buried my infant son, and they want to thank me for using their services. Come on, let's think about this.

So, Huggies, Similac, and Williams Funeral Home are currently on my bad list. Let's hope I don't have to add to this list.

Aidan wants to play swords. I think I'll go oblige.

3 comments:

sandy smith said...

Oh Amy, I'm so sorry you are getting those things in the mail. They send that junk so often, please have someone call them for you to make them stop sending their stuff so you don't get contstant reminders when you least expect it.

As for the funeral home, there's no excuse. Insensitive to say the least.

We're still praying for you daily and thinking about you often.

Anonymous said...

Amy, I am so sorry. I agree with the person above about having someone contact those companies for you to have them stop it. That's not fair to you. And, as for the funeral home... I don't get it. No one wants to be thanked when they loose a loved one. A sympathy card would have been more understandable. I am still praying and thinking of you daily. (((HUGS)))

Love, Jessica

Gram said...

amy, i so remember alyssa going through this. and calls from insurance company and even, can you believe, the hospital, with no knowledge of what happened. wouldn't you think there would be some sort of system for avoiding these sort of insensitive things?

i'm glad you are doing the beth moore study. it may be difficult at times, but God will speak to you through it and help you. i love david's honesty and authentic expressions of grief and how, somehow, he was STILL able to find solace in God and somehow STILL praise him. wow. hard to do. i'm sitting here at my daughter's house 18 months down the road from her loss - i CAN assure you that peace WILL return. she experienced every single thought you have expressed - there were times she thought she wouldn't possibly ever feel that peace but she hung on and God heard her cries. He hears yours. Feel the freedom to heal in His arms. love, jan