Last night, as I'm walking through a dark kitchen on my way to bed, I stepped on a wet spot on the kitchen tile. (There was too a wet spot, Josh. I don't care if you couldn't find it. I stepped on it, so I know.) My foot slipped out from underneath me, rolled over the tile, and I fell. Graceful, I know. It hurt when I did it, but not so much that I couldn't get up and walk to bed after Josh assessed the situation and determined that I didn't just die, since apparently I made a lot of noise on my way to the ground. However, at 5 in the morning I awoke to excruciating pain in my foot and a massive headache. I attempted to get out of bed to get advil and immediately collapsed from pain. Josh got it for me instead. I think I tossed and turned for the rest of the night, I guess I made it hard for Josh to sleep. I was cold without blankets, but blankets put pressure on my foot causing it to hurt. It hurt to lay my foot sideways and it hurt to point my toes to the ceiling. There was not a solution. So bright and early at 8 am this morning (yes, that is bright and early to this stay at home mom), Josh drags me out of bed and takes me to the doctor for x-rays. To my demise, nothing shows up on those x-rays. "But it really hurts," I complained to my doctor. She mashed on my foot some, determined there was minor swelling compared to my left foot, and said I most likely have a hair-line fracture. She stuck me in the most glorious looking boot of a shoe, said to wear if for 5 days, prescribed vicodin for the pain, instructed me to keep it elevated today, and sent me on my way.
My loving husband informs me tonight that he thinks I might have made the whole injury up as a way to get more vicodin, and that if I happen to have another injury after this prescription runs out he's going to pull my doctor aside and have a "chat" with her. This is all based on the water he couldn't find (it is very possible that it was a small drop from watering the plants and was mopped up by my fall) and that nothing showed up on my x-ray (although my doctor said hair-line fractures don't show up and that swelling tends to hide fractures anyway). I'm loving the faith he has in me today. I promise my foot IS injured and that it IS currently still painful to walk on. Besides, I didn't even know I would be prescribed pain medication for this.
No comments:
Post a Comment