Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Big Boy Room

Aidan and Levi were going to share a room, so it was still set up as a nursery from when Aidan was an infant, and we just added a big boy bed. While in the hospital, I told my mom and sister that I couldn't go home to the crib and all of Levi's clothes hanging in the closet. I did read all the stuff on how you shouldn't have other people take the nursery down for you, but you should do it yourself because it's a part of the healing process, etc. Ok, makes sense if you can go home and close the door and deal with it when you're ready. However, in my case, it was also Aidan's room and Aidan's closet, and I would have to face it every single day, and I just wasn't ready. So my mom, along with those dear, sweet friends I mentioned before, took my nursery down for me and repainted the walls of Aidan's room. Repainting those walls was a hard decision to make. I LOVED that nursery. It was Noah's Ark and Josh had spent quite some time painting the animals on the walls (he loves to tell the story of how I made him redo the entire room 3 times) and it was my favorite room in the house. I remember sitting in that room just looking around happy as a clam while still pregnant with Aidan. Just look at how precious it was. The giraffe was always my favorite. And that Noah's Ark picture hanging beside the crib-my Nanny made that for me the year I was born and had it reframed for Aidan.
But my point is, I couldn't return home to a nursery that was intended for a baby that was no longer coming home with me. So Josh and I have been working on Aidan's new big boy room. He LOVES cars. Buy him a cheap box of matchbox cars and he's pleased as punch for hours. You can group trains into this category as well. Therefore, the new theme to his room is cars. It's not finished yet, but we (or maybe I should say Josh) have made some real progress. The walls are finally done. Mom finally gave in and gave me the much coveted dresser from my brother's room that matches the bunk beds she gave me 2 years ago. (I guess a dead baby will get you some perks in life, though I'd take the baby over the dresser any day.) My mom and I are planning to each make a quilt for his bunk beds. We've picked out the pattern and fabric, now we just have to go buy said fabric and begin the project. And I need to decide if I'm going to make new curtains or if the ones I had before will work. I'll post more pictures as the room is completed, but for now, here it is.

4 comments:

susan said...

I love the new room - so cute with the cars and etc - samuel's room is thomas the train - did it when we switched him in feb to a big bed - my girls wanted me to paint train tracks and trains on his walls. I was lucky to get the walls painted as I am not talented in painting or any art stuff. I know you have your sister here this week-but call me if you need someone else to talk to - I am here

Gram said...

i LOVE the cars theme - Alyssa's 4 yr old Liam loves cars, too. he actually is a big tony stewart fan - went as tony stewart on halloween. and he's not even from north carolina! ha! i think it is okay that you are creating a new space for aidan now. it will be just as special as before but in a different way. hope you have a good day this week - one day at a time. love, jan

Anonymous said...

Very cute! I love the cars. Yall did a great job and I bet Aidan loves it. I always wanted to decorate Dawson's room like that, but I am not talented enough to paint things on a wall. haha. I am still thinking about yall and praying for you everyday.

Love, Jessica

Ashley S. said...

That is super cute! I love the room both ways!