Tonight I had a long chat (5 hours to be exact) over coffee with a good friend. I think she first asked me out for coffee the week after Levi died, and yesterday she finally realized I was never going to set the date myself so she did it for me. And I'm grateful. So thank you (because I know you're reading this). She's one of the few friends who's really just sat and listened and let me talk to my heart's content. She didn't fidget or act uncomfortable about my subject matter or about the fact that tears came to my eyes. She wasn't offended by the fact that I admitted that I don't call anyone back or answer all my emails these days. And she understood that if I don't answer my phone it's because I'm having a bad day and I just can't talk about it at that moment (or I might be asleep and have my phone turned off; my nights and days are a bit mixed up right now), so keep calling me because I'll eventually pick up. She simply let me know that she cared.
I didn't know if I was going to write about this or not. I wasn't sure if I wanted to admit it to the whole world, but here goes. I start counseling tomorrow. I didn't want to go when it was first suggested. I wanted to be able to work through this on my own or at least wait a few months and see how I'm doing. But this Saturday will be a month, and I don't feel any better about things now than I did 4 weeks ago. I already know the one month mark is going to be a tough one. I'm already wanting to be a recluse and stay in bed all weekend starting tomorrow. However, I promised myself I would go to church on Saturday, and I will, even if that's the only thing I make it to this weekend. I'm finding that talking helps, but that not everyone wants to hear what I have to say. Therefore, I finally decided I need to talk to someone who doesn't know me and that is not emotionally involved in any way, so tomorrow afternoon I start my first counseling session. I'm nervous. I'm nervous about opening up in front of someone and having to relive the painful stuff, and I'm nervous about being told things I don't want to hear. But I need to talk and I need someone who will listen.
Josh and I also had a good talk today. We're still grieving differently, but I think we better understand one another now. When we got married, we promised to stay put through the good times and bad. We just didn't expect this kind of bad. But we're holding on to that promise, and will hopefully come out stronger for it in the end.
7 comments:
I'm so glad you are going to talk to a 3rd party. It will be easier to talk to them, because they don't judge, they are there to help. They don't tell you the answers they help you find them yourself. You are so brave for doing this. You are doing this for your son, husband and you and that says alot about how much you care.
Amy,
I agree with what Anonymous said and I am so proud of you taking this step. The depth of your loss and pain is too much to handle alone. I am praying for your marriage to grow stronger than ever in this time and for your heart to find peace and relief. It is not instant, but it will happen moment by moment through the days ahead.
Love and Hugs, Laurie
I pray that your counselor is a christian counselor and that the Lord uses this to strengthen and and encourage you.
we're all so proud of you - it takes strength, not weakness, to decide to get counseling. i am praying as well for the Lord to use this person to help you heal. love, jan
I saw your post on mckmama's blog - my heart aches for you in the death of your precious little one.
Please don't believe that God took your baby - God cannot be that cruel.
God designed the human body as a wonderfully complex creation, that sustains life when all is working as put together. The body will not sustain life when an important part of it breaks or ceases to function, and cannot be fixed.
God rages at earthly death as much as we do. He also weeps for those left behind, and is there to wrap his arms around you and accept your anger and sorrow. At the same he welcomes your son into a life with him forever.
A wonderful resource is the book "When Bad Things Happen to Good People". It's a look at the book of Job, and helps us understand the compassion of God.
Prayers are sent for you.
I'm so glad you're going to counseling. I've done it myself and it was a wonderful experience (well, as wonderful as it can be given the reason that you're going). I'll be praying for you tomorrow as you take this stpe forward!
You may not believe it, but the fact that you are angry and have decided to see a counselor are both positive signs. I have a Master's in Counseling, and I really do believe you are taking steps in the right direction. I am continuing to pray for you and your family.
I know we don't know each other well, but if you ever want to pick up the phone to talk, I will listen! Your dad can put you in contact with me. I will be your sounding board if you need me. Keep that in mind.
Praying for you,
Robin Russell from NC
Post a Comment