Saturday, September 19, 2009

Working From Home

I've been trying to think up ideas on how to help Josh pay the bills. I've thought of a garage sale, which we're holding in combination with my mom and sister on the weekend of Oct. 10th, but that will only pay a couple bills if we're lucky and isn't continuous. It does help us declutter the house though, which is nice.

I didn't necessarily want to go back to work, although we did play around with the idea of me returning to work for a year to pay off our debt, but after praying about it, neither Josh nor I had a sense of peace about it. We both feel that I am where I'm supposed to be, and my returning to work would not be trusting in the decision we felt God led us to. But those bills still remain. After making several crayon rolls for Aidan to give away as birthday presents to his friends, I was told I needed to start selling them because other people had been asking where they came from. I made Aidan's nap mat for MDO because I didn't like the ones offered at the store, and was told my his teacher that he has the nicest one in the class, and again, that I should sell them.

So I tested the waters out on facebook last week. I've already received requests for 12 items to be made, and a few others telling me they thinking about having me make items, especially for Christmas gifts. Since facebook seemed to have a positive response, Josh and I decided to create a webpage. I did look into Etsy, but you have to pay so many cents every time you post an item, that said item only stays up for 4 months and then you repost and repay. Plus they take a percentage out of your monthly sales. Paypal does too, but by creating my own site, I don't have to pay to post and can keep them up as long as I would like. However, if my webpage does well, I probably will switch over to etsy because I have a greater chance of getting outside orders. Now I'm hoping to be known by word of mouth. Won't you help me out? Amy's Handmade Creations. Thanks so much!

10 comments:

Debby@Just Breathe said...

What a cute site. I will post about it on my Just Breathe site.
Best of luck.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I take that back, I posted over at For Your Tears, it just seemed like the right place.

http://wwwforyourtears.blogspot.com/

Kristin Hope said...

Not that my blog gets much traffic....but I added your new site to it to try and help. Great job and neat idea!! :)

Amanda said...

I spread the word to my Moms of Multiples group so hopefully you will get double and triple or perhaps quadruplet orders!

Fireflyforever said...

You are incredibly gifted Amy. Such beautiful things :)

Lynda said...

What a great idea! I will for sure spread the word!

Anonymous said...

HOLY COW are you super creative!!!!! you really make me look bad. I can make...... my car drive to stores where I can buy creative things like this. that's about it!!!! ;)
hope it all does well! If you lived closer I would love to have you speak at our MOM group!!!
What is Mother's Day Out?

R said...

I completely understand your reasoning for not doing ETSY just yet but... I also wanted to let you know that a friend of ours sells her paintings on it and got 'found' by Demdaco (the company that makes Willow Tree Angels). They've taken her designs and take care of the production end of things so it may be worth the cost and percentage. I'm so excited for you though that the interest is already there and picking up plus you're able to stay at home with Aidan! Keep it up!!!!!

Monica Jackson said...

We love our crayon roll!!!

Devin said...

What great things, Amy! I hope you have wonderful success with these projects! :)