I was wheeled through the hall and into a labor and delivery room. At first I wasn't sure if it was a labor and delivery room because I didn't see the baby bassinet that I had been shown when I toured the hospital. I later found out my mom had the nurses remove it. The first person I remember seeing as I was wheeled into the room is Jeremy, the youth pastor at our church. I thought he had gotten there really quickly. Of course, my mom, dad, and sister were in the room. So was Paul, another minister from our church. Again, the shock of the day sets in, and I can't remember exact details. I know Rob, our church pastor, and his wife, Medea came in shortly after that. Medea immediately came to my bed, hugged me, and I'm pretty sure she cried with me. Josh's sister and husband showed up also. Both of them had been at work, but left as soon as they could to be with us. Josh's parents were in Wisconsion at the time, so his mom called two of her close friends to come be with Josh. He appreciated that. One of them shared with us that she, too, had a stillborn baby years ago. My grandparents came as soon as they were relieved of babysitting duties by friends of my parents.
During this whole time, I had been clinging to Levi. I don't think I cried much. I know there were tears in my eyes, but I really don't think I cried. My mom asked if she could hold him. I let her. My sister wanted to hold him also. Kathryn did too. My nurse asked if I wanted a photographer from Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep to come take pictures of Levi. I remember looking around at my family and not really knowing what to say or do, but finally saying yes after seeing everyone nodding their heads. My mom and sister then left to go to the hospital gift shop to buy an outfit for Levi to wear in the pictures. Mark left to go buy Josh a different shirt for the pictures as well. He had worn an old t-shirt to the hospital.
While everyone else was holding Levi, I asked for a glass of water. I must have drank it too quickly because I became incredibly nauseous. I was handed a pink bucket just in case I actually got sick, but thanks to my sister-in-law, the nurse, I didn't. She put an alcohol pad in front of my nose and had me breathe in. It quickly alleviated my need to be sick. The epidural also caused me to become incredibly itchy. I was given benadryl to help with the itchiness.
My mom and sister came back with two outfits and let me pick one. Mom had explained the situation to the cashier in the gift shop, and was allowed to leave with them without paying. I picked a blue gown with smocking across the chest. The collar was white. Mom went back and bought it. When she returned, I laid Levi on my bed and opened the blanket. I needed to see all of him. This is where I don't understand. He was whole. Completely and perfectly whole. Ten fingers, ten toes. His skin had started to rub against the blanket though, and the elbow that had been held against my chest had the most damage. His skin had rubbed off a bit and bled against the blanket. It scared me. I was afraid to touch it in fear of making it worse. The nurse had warned me of this though. She said it was because he died while submerged in amniotic fluid. She also warned me that he would begin to turn blue the longer I kept him. I look back at pictures now of Josh holding him, and he was purple. At the time, I didn't notice.
The photographer was there within an hour. By that time, my bible study leader, Susan, had arrived. I was shocked at seeing her because I really hadn't taken the time to get to know her all that well during the course of the bible study and it was obvious from the way she was dressed that she had come straight from the gym to be there with me. She stayed during the entire photography session. Since that day, she has become a blessing and a stronghold for me. The photographer drapped a black blanket over me to hide my hospital gown. My mom asked to dress Levi. The nurse put a diaper on him and I watched blankly as my mom put his one and only outfit on his body. Pictures were taken of Levi with every member of my family that was present. I know I've shared these before, but here are a few of them again. I wasn't sure how I would feel about these pictures, but I'm so grateful I have them. 









8 comments:
Oh WOW, this is a great post & you have the most gorgeous site here. I had to stop by to leave this comment for you – and to say hello of course ! Your posts are creative and original and you have interesting pictures. It's all perfect ! Thank you for sharing your site and best wishes....
Maybe that nurse was covering Levi because you were leaving the OR with him. She probably didn't want anyone stopping and questioning why that was happening.
Amy, not a day goes by that I don't think of you and precious Levi. You are constantly in my prayers.
Thank you for sharing the sorrow within your heart. I am so sorry.
He is so beautiful and perfect.
When I first started blogging and came upon Tuesday's Hope I was very naive. I didn't understand the pictures. I have learned so much since then. What hurts my heart is the fact that so many families do not have pictures. I am pleased that you have them.
Take care & God Bless.
Amy, thank you for sharing Levi's story with us. As a photographer, I am glad that you and your family made the decision to have the photographer from NILMDTS to take Levi's pictures for you. I know you are cherishing them.
Once again Amy, I am in tears reading this post and thinking about what you went through. I can tell you, from a family member's point of view, that I was so glad that I got to hold my niece the day she was stillborn. It was the only time I ever got to cuddle her and tell her how much I loved her over and over and over. I am still so grateful to have had that opportunity, and I'm sure your family members are as well.
The pictures are beautiful...I'm sure you are so glad you have them now. And so glad that there are so many people who are close who have reached out to you. Lord knows you need people who love you in times like these.
Always praying....
Wow, we don't know each other, but I'm a blubbering mess. This is so sad, I can't imagine how said for your own family. I recently read about NILMDTS...and its so awesome what the photographers do. Your pics are beautiful. Levi looks at peace.
BTW, I know my hospital does not allow babies to be held in hallways for protection. Even their bassinets must be flat and not tilted. I'm sure the nurse did not intend to be hurtful.
shirley
Such a blessing that you were offered the NILMDTS services by your hospital and have such beautiful pictures of your sweet boy. We were never offered (didn't know anything about it until much later) and just have pictures one of the the nurses too (until the battery ran out of the camera!) Thank you for sharing your story with us!!
Post a Comment