Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Projects Galore

I have completely submerged myself in sewing projects this past month. I've desperately needed something to keep my hands busy. The culprit being this....


You see, I agreed to help host a friend's baby shower. It was something I offered to do before Levi died and something I didn't want to back out of. I wanted to do what I could for this friend who has been there for me through thick and thin. But man, it about killed me. I thought for sure I was strong enough to do this, but then I got stuck with the stupid diaper cake. No big deal, right? Except that I had to walk the aisles of the baby section of the stores for the first time since Levi's death to get all the needed supplies. I had to go to the store 3 different times to get all that I needed because I kept breaking down in the middle of selecting the toys, bottles, bibs, and blankets, and would walk out.


The diapers actually belonged to Levi. They were the ones that could not be returned to the store because the package had been opened. I figured they could either sit in my attic for another year or someone could actually get to use them. It was bittersweet to roll those diapers up and place rubberbands around them. I'm glad that little Max will get to use them, but they should have already adorned the bottom of my son. My son only ever wore one diaper in his entire life, and right now that diaper is under ground in the casket with Levi.


So, all that to say I needed to work on things that didn't make me sad. This would be the result...
Aidan's nap mat, as I've already shown.




Crayon rolls for friends' daughter's birthdays.



Aidan's quilt top. I still need to get it quilted and put the binding on it before I can place it on Aidan's bed. I could finish it if only I had enough spare money to purchase the 6 yards of fabric I need for the back....


A Halloween decoration. My mom gave me the pattern for this, and I finished in a day. It's not actually crooked-the picture was taken crooked.

I pulled this number out of a drawer and finally started hand quilting it. I believe I finished piecing it together about a year ago. Each of the 12 squares represented a month of the year. Snowman for January, Heart for February, Pinwill for March, and so on.

And if that's not enough, I'm potty training. This is more for Aidan's own benefit since he gets diaper rash so badly. The week before he started MDO, he woke up one morning crying and pulling on his diaper telling me it hurt. Even after I changed his diaper and put a clean one on, he continued to cry and pull at his diaper, so after a quick bath to make sure anything that could possibly hurt or sting his bottom was off, I decided to let him be naked for the morning and start potty training. Needless to say, it's been a challenge.
Lastly, I opened my online store. I'm still hoping for it to take off enough for me to be able to stay home with Aidan. It's so very important for me to stay home with him. I need to spend as much time as possible with the child I still have left.
The shower is this coming Saturday. Won't you please pray for my heart to be able to handle a celebration for this new baby boy?

4 comments:

Debby@Just Breathe said...

You did a beautiful job on the cake. ((HUGS)) Love the Halloween decoration you made. Your very good at what you do.

I have an award for you at my For Your Tears blog.

Megan said...

aidans quilt is looking good!!

all of your projects are very nice. the diaper cake looks very familiar right down to the elephant on top. :) i loved making levi's diaper cake.

Monica Jackson said...

I'm so thankful to have you in my life, and I'm honored that Max will have something of Levi's in his diaper cake. I appreciate every bit of the work you're doing for the shower. Love you, friend.

R said...

I'll be praying for you. I know how hard it was for me to go to my first shower and I wasn't a part of the planning. You've made some beautiful things- you have such a gift!!