Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Randomness

I have just a few thoughts to get out today. First of all, thanks to my wonderful in-laws, I have signed Aidan up for a Mother's Day Out program beginning September 1st on Tuesdays and Thursdays so that I can continue my counseling sessions. Yay! At first, I was feeling kind of guilty about this because I don't work, therefore, I should be able to stay home with my child, and as a former teacher, teach him all he needs to know, right? However, after expressing this concern to a few people, I realized I'm crazy. It's only from 9am - 2pm two times a week. He's not going to be gone from me all that much. Plus, he's not a kid that likes to stay home ever. Every single morning when we get up he asks to go to the water park or the playground or out to eat or to Grammy and Papa's house or wherever. Anywhere but home. Now he's guaranteed to get out of the house twice a week. I was also originally upset because my church didn't have any openings for him. I thought it would be better for him to go where he's already comfortable. I have since changed my mind on that thinking. Josh and I are at the church A LOT. Wednesday night, Saturday night, Sunday morning, and I'm going to start a Thursday morning women's bible study in a month, so add MDO to that, and Aidan would be at the church 6 times every week. Now he'll only be there 3 times and we can easily dintinguish between church and school. I went and looked at the school he'll be at, and I'm really rather pleased with it. I took Aidan with me and he had a lot of fun running around and playing with all the toys and in the indoor playground. Everyday they'll have a Bible story, a craft, go over colors, letters, and numbers. They also teach the kids to identify their names. They have snack time, play time, lunch, nap time, and more play time. There's only 6-7 kids per classroom, and they'll help with potty training once we get to that point. Plus, I'll get a few hours to myself each week to clean the house, go to lunch with Josh or my girlfriends, redeem my massage gift certificates I got for my birthday, get a pedicure, work on my scrapbook, finish Aidan's quilt, go grocery shopping (so much easier to do without a 2 year old in tow!), or even just take a nap. :)

Second, in about an hour, I'm getting trained on a continuous glucose monitoring system. It's another device that is injected into my stomach next to my insulin pump, and it uses the fluid under the skin to take glucose level readings every 5 minutes and then transmits them to my pump. It alarms if my glucose is getting too high or too low so that I don't stay high or low for extended periods of time and can immediately take care of it. I'm really excited about this. I don't always feel my high glucose levels, so this will alert me right away. For example, this morning I woke up with a glucose level of 400. WAY too high! I've been struggling to get it down all morning. This sensor would have woken me up as soon as my glucose hit 200, so it wouldn't be quite as difficult to bring my levels back down to a normal range. I can also transmit my readings to a computer program that will create graphs so I can take them to my doctor and he can see where I need to adjust insulin levels during the day or night. I'm also really excited about having this during my next pregnancy. Being able to constantly monitor my glucose levels is going to be a HUGE relief for me because I still think that part of the reason I lost Levi is due to too high glucose levels. I don't know how else I could have gotten so much amniotic fluid. If my range is normal all the time, then I can prevent that from happening again.

Finally, Josh and I are getting away together this weekend for the first time since Aidan was born. Yes, this is the first time in 2 1/2 years that just the two of us are spending the night away from home. (I was told the hospital doesn't count.) Some fabulous friends of ours booked us a hotel room at the Gaylord Texan for Friday night. Aidan will stay at my parents' house overnight. Josh took a half day off work on Friday, so we're going to go check in at 3:00, look around to see what there is to do, probably go see a movie since we have free movie passes, and just have fun. Pictures of our weekend will be coming soon. :)

3 comments:

Fireflyforever said...

Amy, they all sound like really good things. I'm pleased. D. & I celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary about 5 months after Emma died and he surprised me with a night in the same hotel where we spent our wedding night. I still remember that time as one of the first when the fog and clouds of grief lifted. It was genuinely a moment of healing. I wish the same for you - a small break from the storm.

Gram said...

i am a preschool teacher and notice that when children get to be 3ish they beg for social interaction. they do get bored at home and crave little friends to play with. i would also assist my daughter or daughter-in-law in such a program because i think it is important - AND for you to have just a few hours a week to recharge your mother battery in whatever way helps YOU - bible study, counseling, shopping (ha!)
also, we have 2 young friends who have the glucose pump and absolutely rave about it. it is life-changing technology and it WORKS! AND finally, i hear only good things about the Gaylord Texan. i am praying for you and Josh to have a relaxing evening and time to talk and reconnect as a couple! blessings!

Bernard said...

I think you'll really like the CGM, it's life changing in many ways. Just be patient, when you see the readings go up it's way too easy to end up stacking insulin. Remember than any bolus will really take at least 45 minutes to affect blood sugars that are high, especially if they're continuing to go up.

I don't which CGM you're going to use, they all have pros and cons. Checkout TuDiabetes.com for advice, they have a group for each of the different CGM models that are out there. I hope it makes a huge and positive difference for you.