Thursday, August 27, 2009

Financial Frustrations

Since Levi, Josh and I have been knocked flat on our backs finacially. Some of it I will take blame for as I am known to accept comfort in the form of retail therapy. For example, the other day I was in Target, saw the baby aisle, got sad, and immediately took Aidan to the toy section to pick out a game for the two of us to play. My thought process being that I wanted to do something fun with the child I still have. So take that and multiply it by almost 4 months now. I try to be good, I really do. In that same shopping trip, I had a dress and shoes in my cart as well, but I put them back because I knew I had to be a good steward of my money. But dangit, life is hard and unfair right now.

We are hurting because of hospital bills, funeral bills, and doctor bills on top of our everyday bills. We had accumulated some debt prior to Levi from school loans and the adjustment period between my working and staying home, but were working our way out of it and had sworn off credit cards. Now I feel like we're being buried under debt and there's no end in sight. And I feel guilty for it all. I know this is where everyone is going to tell me that I have no reason to feel guilty and it's not my fault, but I can't help the way I feel. If I hadn't been pregnant, we wouldn't have all these extra bills to pay. If I wasn't diabetic, we wouldn't get hit with medical bills out the wazoo. If I didn't rely on retail therapy, we wouldn't have added to our credit cards. If it hadn't taken me a good 2 months to start cooking again, we wouldn't have eaten out so much.

To top off all this guilt, I don't work. I'm not contributing to our bank account at all. I tried telling Josh how I felt, and he simply told me that I'm home because we feel that's what my job is supposed to be. Not that I disagree. I've always wanted to be a stay at home mom. However, I'm not helping with our financial situation at all. I dabbled in selling Mary Kay for awhile in hope that I could bring home income, but it was a complete and total failure. Now I'm contemplating selling things I make, but I'm afraid to invest the money in it because what if I fail at that too and again lose a chunk of our money.

I can't even relax by having lunch with a friend. If I go, I end up searching the menu for the cheapest thing on there and feeling bad about spending any money when surely I could scrap together something to eat at home.

I hate feeling like this. As if life isn't difficult enough right now. We're still dealing with the death of our child, so you would think all the other areas of our life could get a little easier right now, but no, they just get harder.

2 comments:

Robin said...

Amy, check your facebook email. Robin Russell

R said...

We've been struggling financially too. I completely understand the retail therapy- I spent some on clothes because I didn't want to wear maternatity stuff anymore and yet my pre-pregnancy clothes were far from fitting. We also spent so much on plants and what not for the garden... I justified it by saying that we spent less on plants than we would have if we'd been going to counseling regularly (though we did do that some too) and I found it theraputic to work in the garden. I'm scared now because I know the financially responsible thing wouldn't have been to try for another baby at this point but yet I can't wait until I hold this one in my arms. I don't have any of the answers but I can tell you that you aren't alone in this aspect of grief either. To me it feels as though things like finances that were stressful before feel like even more of a burden to bear now... there are/were days that I could barely cope with my loss, let alone everything else that seemed to pile up as a result. Just take things one moment at a time... and don't be afraid to ask & accept help. It was hard at times accepting financial help from family yet we truly needed it.