Saturday, August 22, 2009

The Dash

I ran across this poem by Linda Ellis today.

The Dash

I read of a man who stood to speak
At the funeral of a friend.
He referred to the dates on her tombstone
From the beginning to the end.

He noted that first came the date of her birth
And spoke of the following date with tears,
But he said what mattered most of all
Was the dash between those years.

For that dash represents all the time
That she spent alive on earth
And now only those who loved her
Know what that little line is worth.

For it matters not, how much we own,
The cars, the house, the cash,
What matters is how we live and love
And how we spend our dash.

So think about this long and hard;
Are there things you’d like to change?
For you never know how much time is left
That can still be rearranged.

If we could just slow down enough
To consider what’s true and real
And always try to understand
The way other people feel.

And be less quick to anger
And show appreciation more
And love the people in our lives
Like we’ve never loved before.

If we treat each other with respect
And more often wear a smile,
Remembering that this special dash
Might only last a little while.

So when your eulogy is being read
With your life’s actions to rehash
Would you be proud of the things they say
About how you spent your dash?

The "dash" really bothers me. Levi never got a dash. He was gone before the state would recognize him as alive. I don't have a birth certificate. I don't even have a death certificate. It's as if he never existed to anyone but me. He lived inside of me, but that doesn't count as far as the world is concerned. I hate that years from now as my great great great great whatevers go to look up their family tree, there will be absolutely no record of Levi. His birth and his death are not listed on any type of legal document. He will only be known by word of mouth. It kills me.

Today my dad called me from Levi's grave. I still haven't been able to go back. I want to, but I'm afraid it will hurt too much. He doesn't have a tombstone yet, just a plaque provided by the funeral home, so my dad went inside to ask about one. He has the information to show me, but I don't know if I want to look at it. I do. I want Levi to have a marker, but I absolutely hate this process. Shortly after Levi's death, I ran across a Bible verse that I wanted to put on his tombstone, but now I can't remember it. I didn't write it down, and now I'm kicking myself. I don't even remember the gist of it, and it upsets me greatly.

Speaking of the dash and Levi's tombstone, I don't know how to write his birthdate on it. Usually, you have the day of birth - day of death. Levi's is all the same. He was dead when he was born.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Suffer little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God." Luke 18:16

Amy - We put part of this verse on our baby's marker. It was also on the door of my hospital room (coincidence or reserved for moms like me?). I think we put the birthdate as November 11, 1981-November 11, 1981.

Hope this helps. Still praying for you.

Susan

Devin said...

Amy,

A couple of things. I thought you might want to go to my sis-in-law's blog (she is on my sidebar under friends and family--Aimee), and see the grave marker they chose for their daughter. If you scroll down, there is a pic of it on the right hand sidebar. I think it is very beautiful--and it just simply lists "Lilliana Grace, May 30th, 2009".

Also, I think you should pray about that verse, and ask God to bring it back to mind. If it is what God wants for you to put on that stone, then He will bring it to remembrance for you.

Still praying everyday. I can't imagine what a struggle this is for you, and I am sorry that you are having to walk this road.

Monica said...

You really hit the nail on the head with the precise reason why stillbirth is confusing to everyone and especially difficult. I think "the state" - and a lot of people actually - just have trouble conceptualizing and recognizing an unborn baby as "alive." Which doesn't do any good for those of us who carry those babies to term, and leaves us having to deal with the painful logistic details like the one you're referring to.

((Hugs)), peace and strength as you get through this hard part.

R said...

I've heard that poem before and like it but it is so hard when there is no dash. We just included the date of our Levi's delivery since we knew he'd passed away at least 5 days earlier. The verse we included is part of Job 1:21- "The Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord." It helps me to remember on the days when it's hard to praise that God is in control & to be praised even when it's not easy.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I am so sorry for your loss. You sent me an email which I am going to answer. He is such a beautiful little boy your Levi. I can see why the dash would bother you and I am so sorry for the journey of sorrow you have been given. I will pray for your comfort. I don't understand why you don't have a birth/death certificate. There had to have been on. I wish I had all the words to heal your pain. I pray to God that he would give me the why? so I can heal the hearts of grieving parents. Take care and God Bless.

Fireflyforever said...

We are just waiting for Emma's headstone to be sited. It is going to be etched with a dragonfly and will read:

"Our precious baby
Emma Faith M-
Born into Heaven
14th October 2008
"I have summoned you by name; you are mine." (Isaiah 43.1)

I am in a strange limbo state. I want her grave marked. I want something permanent where she lies but I am so upset by needing to organise a headstone for my BABY. So wrong. I often wander around the other graves and feel sad that Emma didn't get a life here that lasted more than one day.