Tuesday, October 27, 2009

First Visit with Levi

I went to Levi's grave for the first time today. I had originally asked my dad to go with me to order a tombstone, but wanted to visit with Levi for a bit. Josh decided he wanted to go, too. That surprised me. I didn't think he wanted to go back yet. He managed to get off work early to come with us.

When we got there, the funeral parking lot was full, so we assumed there was a funeral going on. We decided to come back on a Saturday to order to tombstone when it's not so busy.

It was a beautiful day outside. Dad drove down to Levi's grave. I hadn't realized how close to the road he had been buried. It makes it easier to find his location. We brought a shovel and paint brush with us to clean up his site. The last time my dad was there, he said Levi's grave marker had sunk into the ground, so he wanted to dig it out and brush all the dirt off of it. However, it had already been done. The grave marker was dirt free and sitting nicely on the grass. Grass has grown over his grave now. Not only was his marker clean, but someone had taken the time to place flowers about his marker. They were white roses placed in water in a plastic bottle that had been pushed into the ground. With all the rain we've had and with how fresh the roses were, they had to have been placed there very recently, possibly yesterday or today.

I don't know who put them there, perhaps I never will, but I was extremely touched. Someone remembered my Levi.

Aidan came with us. We talked to him about where we were. He kept saying, "Lebi's grave," and then would run off to smell all the flowers. Josh kept an eye on him while Dad and I walked around the other graves. I was still taking in ideas on what to do for Levi's tombstone. I'm pretty sure I know what I want, but I still like to see what others have done.

I'm glad I went today. I'm glad I was able to sit down where my child lies and spend a few moments with him.

3 comments:

Debby@Just Breathe said...

That is wonderful, I'm so glad you were able to spend time with him.
Take care and God Bless. ((HUGS))

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you took that step and got to spend time there!

Aim said...

so happy you did!
I have been wanting to go alot lately but it has been so nasty here and something usually pulls me to not go. have a hard time going when my kids need me for things other than driving to see where my baby lies.
It drives me nuts when people leave things and I don''t know who did it? I end up asking all around until I think I can figure it out! :) so comforting though to know others care!
Thanks for posting that! Have a precious day tomorrow! thinking of you while I am thinking about our babies! bet they are having fun together and saying things like, "no, my mom is amy, no mine is, no....." :) ok. well. maybe, maybe not. :) Enjoy your 30th! I am going to try.