I'm not sure how many more times I can write/talk about this, so I'm going to try to be as concise as possible in hopes that this is the last time I have to discuss this topic until I know further information.
I went for my 34 week appointment yesterday in hopes of coming home with a confirmed c-section delivery date. Instead, I got an appointment for 5:30 yesterday evening to see a specialist dealing in high-risk pregnancies. You see, when my OB did my sonogram yesterday, Levi came out weight 7 lbs. something oz. (I was a bit shocked at the 7 lb. comment that I tuned out the oz.) and at 37 weeks, plus I had excess amniotic fluid. My OB started talking about doing an amnio to check his lung development so we can get him delivered as soon as possible. Umm...amnio? Talk about scary. Can you imagine having a big huge needle coming at your stomach. Plus, all I've ever heard about those things is that they're dangerous and can cause harm to the baby. And aren't those for checking early gender and birth defects? Apparently, there's more to them. But all this was running through my head at once.
So, at 5:30 pm, Mom and I walk into the specialist's office. (I wasn't about to go have a needle stuck in my uterus by myself). They started asking me a bizillion questions about my medical history, my pregnancy with Aidan, my blood pressure, etc. etc. Then on with another sonogram. This time, Levi measured 8 lbs. 7 oz. What?!?! That's what Aidan weighed when he was born!! Surely I'm not carrying that big of a baby around right now. But if I am, that would explain why everyone has all of a sudden told me how much I've grown over the past 2 weeks. (By the way, 2 weeks ago, Levi was measuring at 33 weeks). The specialist kept talking about diabetes, big baby, and extra amniotic fluid all being an increased risk for a stillborn birth. Um, excuse me, what? Do we really need to freak me out more? He did say that with close monitoring the likelyhood of that happening, though increased, was still low. But still. Talk about scaring the heck out of me. This guy talked so fast and spouted so many numbers and information that is was kind of hard to keep up with. Even Mom had a hard time following him. Anyway, he did not perform the amnio because he said at 34 weeks he could guarentee the results would come back with immature lungs, so he would rather wait a week or two. He recommended that I see my OB twice a week and have a sonogram once a week for that constant monitoring he was talking about. At the point my OB decides it might be time to deliver, the specialist will perform an amnio to check the lungs. In other words, this baby could be born at any point from here on out. I guess getting to schedule a date for a nice, neat c-section would just be too easy. Apparently, I need more guesswork and craziness in my life. I'll be calling my OB today to set up an appointment for Monday.
I'm not quite sure how I'm feeling about all this. I'm freaked and scared, but at the same time, I'm trying not to be because I know it won't help the situation any. I'm focusing on staying on top of my glucose levels in order to get them below 95 so that Levi doesn't grow anymore than he's supposed to. And I'm trying to give it all to God. Ultimately, He's the one in control and only He can protect and provide for my child in the way that he needs right now. But it's hard. I'm asking for prayer. Prayer for my baby. Prayer for my peace of mind. Prayer for the doctor's wisdom.
2 comments:
Thank you for sharing the details and it keeps me from wondering or having to ask how you are doing.
That's so crazy! I'll be praying for you! Good luck!
Post a Comment