Sunday, April 25, 2010

Not Forgotten


Last night after Josh finished teaching a bible study lesson to our Life Group, we were presented with this gift.

Josh and I didn't expect anything. We didn't even expect any mention of Levi while at church this week. The anniversary of Levi's death is still about a week away and we know others get busy with their own lives. But our church family astounded us not only with the fact that they remembered and recognized how hard this week is going to be for us, but they had this bench designed specifically to sit next to Levi's rose bush. The rose bush holds so much meaning to Josh and me. It's the only living thing we have to represent our son. We don't expect others to think of the rose bush, but they did.

This group of people demonstrated true Christian community and fellowship to us when Levi died and the months that followed. They provided our meals, they did our yard work, they cleaned our house, they lanscaped our gardens, they painted Aidan's room, they took down Levi's nursery, and they continued to check on us month after month. In the past few months, that has died down as Josh and I have begun to heal.

I sometimes wonder if others forget about Levi. As Josh and I move forward, he doesn't come up in conversations as often and we're not constantly asked how we're doing anymore. However, I was proven wrong yesterday, and I've never been more glad to be wrong. Levi is not forgotten.

We are so blessed to call all of you our friends. I can't even begin to express my gratitude towards all you have done for us. Thank you for supporting us this past year. We love you all and are proud to call you friend.

6 comments:

The Dubs said...

That brought tears to my eyes. Just so you know, I think about Levi almost everyday. He will never be forgotten, Amy! Still praying for you!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet gift! I'm so thankful the Lord has provided you guys with a tangible expression of His tender care and kindness through your community!

Fireflyforever said...

What a beautiful gift - both the bench and the knowledge that your community holds Levi in their hearts. Thinking of your precious little son as his birthday draws near.

Anonymous said...

OH HOW SWEET!!! I just love it! thinking of you this week as I realize I have a month to go for our 1 year anniversary. Hope you are doing well.

Jess said...

Wow, that is just amazing. What a special gesture of support, and a memorial to Levi you can always treasure. He will never be forgotten.

Anonymous said...

What an awesome gift! You are surrounded by some great friends. Thinking of you guys and praying for you often as I know these next few days will be especially hard.

Dawn