I've slowly been making my way through this book the past couple months...
...because of this little one.
...because of this little one.
Meet the newest addition to our little family. God has given Josh and me another blessing. We're hoping and praying that this one makes it into our arms. I'm officially out of my first trimester now, so I can breathe just a little bit easier, though I imagine the third trimester is going to be even tougher on me than the first.It's scary to be pregnant again after a loss. I fear I'm leaving Levi behind with this new life. I know it's not true, but there's this nagging little voice in the back of my head that plays on my fears. I was told to wait 9 months before trying to get pregnant again. I found out I was pregnant the weekend of Levi's 10 month anniversary. It doesn't take me long to conceive. So this voice in my head constantly berates my decision to try again as soon as possible. It tells me I'm a horrible mother because I couldn't honor the life of my son for a year without creating new life. I know this to be the voice of Satan; the one who wants to steal, kill, and destroy any hope of happiness in my life. I may know this, but the voice is still there.
I fear the words "no heartbeat." Those two little words had a devestating effect on my life and I'm terrified of hearing them again. Each and every time I walk into my doctor's office and climb up on the ultrasound table (and yes, I have an ultrasound every single time I go because my doctor is kind enough to understand that I need that type of reassurance), my heart starts pounding erratically with fear and I can barely find enough breath in my lungs to breathe. The moment I see my little bundle on the screen moving around with a strong heartbeat, my whole body relaxes and tears stream from my eyes. Each and every time. I don't want to go on like this through my entire pregnancy. I keep hoping it'll ease up once I can feel baby move.
I also carry the fear of my womb being a place of death. The human body is amazing and can do marvelous things, so I'm told. But my body, the part that is supposed to create and sustain life, failed. My baby died inside my womb. Nothing was wrong with him. He was beautiful and perfect and whole. Except his heart stopped beating before he made it out of my womb. I fear this fate for the little one growing inside me now.
I could go on with a list of my fears, but I won't. Because despite my fears, I am hopeful. I refuse to believe this little one's future will be the same as his or her big brother's. I dream about the day I hold this one in my arms. These next few months are going to be painfully hard for me to live through, but I am hopeful. For this reason, I beg you to pray with me. I still tremble a bit at the thought of prayer because I did indeed pray for my Levi and he was lost to me. I'm afraid to let go and give God complete control. In my irrational way of thinking, if I don't pray, I'm not giving my baby to God, and He can't take him or her from me. However, God has shown me that he does answer prayers over this past year. Therefore, I truly covet your prayers for the life of this new little one that now grows beneath my heart.
7 comments:
Amy! Congratulations! What a precious blessing from the Father! I am praying for your hearts as you walk this journey- that you would surrender all fear, doubt, and anxiety to the Lord, knowing that HE is the one who numbers our days and that He withholds no good thing from those who love him. May he bring you abundant peace and joy in this season of anticipation!
Amy,
Just wanted to let you know I am praying for you and Josh, especially this week as Levi's first birthday approaches. While we don't understand the why, we do know that Levi is so much better off than us--he's in the very presence of Jesus. I am praying for a safe and uneventful pregnancy. May you enjoy this time and look expectantly toward the day you hold your little one in your arms and hear his/her first of many cries. --Jo Roddy
So happy you've posted about this!!! I have been waiting for this! crazy, but I have alot of the same feelings you do and I have been trying to block them out this last week! I will talk more about it to you later but just wanted you to know how happy I am for you and your fam!
Congratulations Amy & Josh!! I am so happy for you, and I will pray for the Lord's protection for you and the baby and for your peace in the months to come!
Amy,
I'm SO thrilled to be reading this. I wish you much peace and joy (and even pregnancy enjoyment) on this journey.
Yes, I was a nervous wreck the whole first, found some peace and joy in the second and basically arrived at 38 weeks clinging to a very tiny bit of sanity. Someone on a pregnancy after loss forum introduced me to the phrase, "Hope doesn't make bad things happen" and I held tight to that right the way through.
... and you aren't dishonouring Levi by having a little sibling. It's *because* our children were so beautiful, so precious, so scrumptious that we could even contemplate doing this again - if you look at it that way, it's another way of honouring them, they (and their living siblings) showed us what mother ( and father) love is.
Do you have a project for Levi you could work on whilst pregnant? I continued with Emma's birth sampler whilst pregnant with Toby (I'm still working, aiming to finish it for her second birthday). Working on it gave me a connection to her on the days when I felt as though I was losing her to the new pregnancy.
I'm just finding my way back to my faith the way it used to be but, rest assured, you'll be in my slightly wobbly prayers.
Oh, Amy!! I'm so happy for you! This pregnancy will bring on a new perspective for you, and it doesn't mean that Levi will be forgotten. It will only remind you of how much you will always love him! Congrats!!!
I'm so happy for you, Amy! I know so well the thoughts and fears you are having, and even the second guessing, wondering if the timing was right for another pregnancy. For me, things have eased up as the due-date draws nearer. I would react very similarly to my doctor visits and ultrasounds for quite some time as well, and eventually, that mostly subsided. Now I just look forward to seeing him wiggling away on the screen. I will be praying that God would give you peace, and even joy during this pregnancy. I know it can sometimes feel like leaving the child you lost behind, but like another poster said, it can also be seen as another way to honor Levi, and show how much you love him and Aidan, that you want another baby. hugs and blessings!
Jess
Post a Comment