Unfortunately, a few weeks after all this work, I got out of the shower to notice water pouring out from behind the wall of the shower. We thought it was the shower pan. The shower pan is not a job Josh could do on his own, so we had my dad send over the guy who has been doing renovations over at his house. Juan took one look at the shower and said the drywall was moldy and then quoted us a price for replacing the entire shower.
We cut some costs by having Josh take all the tile and drywall out himself. It didn't take long to discover that Juan was very correct. Whoever built our house didn't put up the right kind of drywall or a shower liner behind the tile, so that when Josh pulled the tile off, the drywall crumbled into moldy pieces under his fingertips.
Juan and his men put up all the tile for us. Since we were unable to find a shower pan that fit into our shower, they custom built one for us. They also raised the ceiling in the shower since it was originally shorter than the rest of the bathroom.
When they finished laying tile, Josh grouted and sealed the shower. He scrapped the popcorn off the ceiling and retextured the ceiling and entire bathroom. I've now gotten one wall of the bathroom painted. Once I finish that, our bathroom will be complete.
I failed in taking a before picture of our master shower as Josh had already taken all the tile and drywall down before I even thought of it, but I still want to share my brand new shower. I'm so excited about this renovation. The shower we had before was made up of very basic white tile, a not so pretty sliding door, silver fixtures, and a shower pan that was stained from years of use. The shower I have now looks like this...
Notice the custom built shelf and cubby hole. No more basket hanging from the shower head!As a side note, it seems we're going to have to do this to our hall bath as well. After showering in there for a few weeks, water started leaking into Josh's and my bedroom (it shares a wall with the bathroom). Juan suspects the same problem in there as in our bathroom. Luckily, Aidan can still take a bath as it's only the grout and tile that leaks, so we can put that job off for a bit.
2 comments:
beautiful. love it! i want to see the painted wall. i can't remember what color were going to use.
i like the blog makeover. getting ready to update your pics on the side??
It looks beautiful! We need the name of your tile guy... ours quoted us at a pretty high price.
Post a Comment