Sunday, June 14, 2009

Camping

Call me insane, but we made a last minute decision to join our ABF on a camping trip at Cooper Lake State Park in June in Texas this past Friday and Saturday. The temperature on Saturday hit the hottest it has been so far this year, as in, you start sweating the moment you step outside. It was a last minute decision because we obviously hadn't signed up previously since we thought we would be the parents of a newborn, and who in their right mind goes camping with a 1 month old? Not us. Although, camping with a 2 year old isn't all that easy either. Especially one that has selective hearing, loves to jump in mud puddles, and is what you would call "all boy". We went with 5 other families from our ABF, took up 3 campsites, and had 8 kids ranging in ages from 5 years to 10 months with us. Josh, Aidan, and I stayed in an unair-conditioned shelter with a concrete floor. We brought air mattresses to sleep on and borrowed a fan to keep us cool. Saturday morning, I woke up to find a bird in our shelter and a slug next to me in bed. I am not a fan of the big outdoors. Next time, we'll be renting an A/C shelter with beds off the floor. We did have a good time though.We started out the weekend by swimming in the lake as soon as we arrived, or at least Aidan went swimming. Apparently, we were the only family to miss the memo about packing swim suits, so I just dug out a pair of cotton shorts for Aidan, and Josh and I watched from the sand. He doesn't venture too far out anyway. He likes to be able to stand, but he had a good time splashing and jumping in the water. Friday night, we toasted marshmallows and made s'mores. Aidan liked the toasting part, but would have nothing to do with eating it. All he wanted was a plain graham cracker. More for Mommy. :) Notice how he is covered head to toe in wet mud. He spent the majority of Friday splashing in mud puddles. Being the only boy on the trip, besides 10 month old Grayson, I guess he had to entertain himself somehow. He didn't seem to be too interested in the girly screaming coming from inside the cabin. Little Man went through 4 outfits in less than 24 hours. He probably would have dirtied even more if I had packed anything else for him to wear. On Saturday, we went to the fishing dock. Whitney was the only one who caught a fish. Poor Aidan didn't have a fishing pole. I guess we'll have to get him one for next time. This is where Aidan got covered in fire ants. They were everywhere in this grass. Josh stripped him down and I took him back to the camp ground and ran cold water over his body. Crystal was smart enough to bring a Benadryl pen with her, so that helped with his itching. Doesn't Josh look thrilled to be here? This was lunch on Saturday. Josh was done by this point. He informed me that he does not enjoy camping. This coming from Mr. Eagle Scout who went backpacking, canoeing, and all sorts of outdoorsy-type trips as a kid? Maybe it's the fact that we went in June instead of fall.
I had to throw this face in here for good measure. That's my boy!

3 comments:

Fireflyforever said...

Looks like a lot of fun was had (well mostly!). Sometimes these things surprise by being less hard than we expect them to be.

ThinkingPrincess said...

Sounds like a fun trip despite the heat, the slug, and the fire ants (owwww!). I totally would be done by Saturday, so I applaud the fact that you made it all weekend in this heat.

LOVE Aidan's face on the last picture. He is soooo cute!

Kim said...

Glad to see you went and had a good time! Those pics are cute - love the last one.. such a BOY!