Thursday, December 10, 2009

An Unexpected Package

Packages arriving at our house around Christmas time is not an uncommon thing as Josh and I do a large portion of our shopping online. I don't like crowds, therefore, I avoid the malls at all cost once Thanksgiving hits. Yesterday, however, I received an unexpected package on my front step with my name on it. I didn't recognize the sender and the box didn't appear to be the right size to fit anything I was expecting. Josh's family sometimes sends cookies or candy for Christmas, so I thought maybe that's what was inside. Inside the large box was a smaller box, and printed on the side was:
"Baby in Wings
Orn Baby's
First Xmas"

I immediately started crying. Without even opening the box, I knew it was an ornament for Levi. At this point, I still didn't know who sent it, but I knew somebody had thought of me and my Levi. I opened the box to find this:

A baby asleep in the wings of an angel.
I dug to the bottom of the larger box and pulled out the receipt to discover that my sister had ordered this ornament. I called her to thank her. She said she looked through a lot of "Baby's First Christmas in Heaven" ornaments (I didn't even know they made those!), but that she liked the imagery of this one the best, and felt the angel wings implied heaven. I have to say I agree. I understood it before she ever explained the meaning.
Thank you, Megan. Thank you for helping me find a way to remember Levi this Christmas.

3 comments:

Devin said...

Wonderful. Absolutely wonderful.

That is a special friend that you have there--and that ornament is just perfect. I love it--I'm sure you do too. :)

Check out my blog in the morning if you get a chance--I think you will be blessed. I hope so.

Praying for you Amy.

Gram said...

i haven't visited lately but i've been thinking of you and came across an old comment on one of my old blog posts so i found your blog address again. peeked in to see how you are doing. it is SO hard, i know. wanted to share this poem with you - one i wrote for my daughter when her sydney grace was born still. even though she was blessed with a healthy baby boy 6 weeks ago, she still grieves for Sydney and will forever feel an emptiness in their family. thinking of you and continuing to pray for you and your family.


Little One, Hold My Hand
for Sydney Grace

Little one, hold my hand.
Show me all the wonders that you see;
Help me feel His loving touch,
Lead me gently to His feet;

Little one, hold my hand,
Guide me as I seek to learn
How to do what He wants of me;
Be my sweet angel leading me.

Little one, hold my hand,
Come at night and whisper in my ear
Of the glorious things that you now know,
Safely resting in His arms..

Little one, hold my hand.
Sit beside me as I weep;
Dry my tears with gentle breath,
A breeze that softly touches cheek.

Little one, hold my hand,
Angel fingers entwined in mine;
Pull me gently closer still
To live in Him in every hour.

Little one, hold my hand,
He will help you teach me how
To be a better person now,
Change me with His love you bring.

Little one, hold my hand,
I need to feel your presence here;
I'll try not to hold too tight,
For I know I'm not the only one.

Little one, hold my hand,
Snuggle with me in my dreams
And sing a joyful song to me;
I'll listen and i'll sing with you.

Little one, hold my hand,
Until the day when I come home
And then we'll dance and never tire
And play at Jesus feet again

Gram said...

..and, amy, this written by a grandfather whose 3 yr old daughter drowned in his backyard pool in south africa. my march 27, 2009 post includes a beautiful picture of this precious 3 yr old. somehow through our suffering, we share Christ's suffering on the cross. still hard to do. :)

"A year has passed, a year of pain
Is it all in vain?

Jenna’s limp and lifeless body on my lap

I kissed her forehead and gave her back.

Jesus, why allow this to be?

Tonight he revealed this to me:

“The pain you feel is what you share of

My life I gave for you and her.”

Lord, let it be.

I am content in Thee."


Leon 23 March 2009. 00h25