Thursday, October 25, 2012

Sparrow

We have a new addition to our home.


She is absolutely adored by the boys (and me too, of course)! I have wanted another cat ever since we had to give up Drake about 5 years ago. I loved Drake. However, Drake had a jealousy issue when Aidan came home and began peeing in the crib. This was not acceptable, and he had to find a new home. I've always been sad about that decision. The responsible side of me never allowed myself to get another cat though. We had babies to take care of and we already had a cat and dog. However, lately, Aidan has been asking for a pet. I got him a fish right before school started in hopes this would end his pet request.


This is Thed.
It didn't. He wanted to go to Petsmart and look at the animals this past weekend, so we did. Which then ended in a request for a pet, a chinchilla specifically. Considering the price, we said no to that one. I, however, was drawn to the cats. I love cats. I've always loved cats. I am a cat person. I had recently been told of a local animal shelter that had majorly discounted their cats, and Josh said we could go look. So we did. And we came home with this baby. I could have easily become a crazy cat lady if Josh hadn't been there to restrain me. I saw so many pretty cats, young and old, that I would have loved to bring home.

So now she needed a name. We have a pirate theme in our house when it comes to our animals.

Nemo, aka, Captain Nemo from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Most people assume I named him after the movie Finding Nemo because he's orange. This assumption would be incorrect. Nemo was born in 1998. Finding Nemo was released in 2003.

This was Drake (and Aidan. Look how tiny he used to be!), named after Sir Francis Drake, an English privateer during the Elizabethan era.

Wesley, as in, Wesley the Dread Pirate Roberts from The Princess Bride. This is his actual full name written on his papers. I am aware that the Dread Pirate Roberts actually spelled his name "Westley", but I accidentally left at the "t" on Wesley's paperwork and didn't feel the need to correct it.

And now we have Sparrow, as in Jack Sparrow from The Pirates of the Caribbean. We walked out of the animal shelter and Aidan immediately said, "We should name the kitten Jack," before Josh or I had mentioned anything about names. It was funny to me because he happened to pick a pirate name. I played around with dropping the pirate theme considering there's not really any good options for female pirate names, but I really liked Sparrow and all family members approved, so it stuck.

And there you have it, our newest addition.

2 comments:

Megan said...

Sparrow is adorable, and I love the name choice. I am def not mentioning to L&G that you got a new kitten. They would see it as complete injustice.

Anonymous said...

What a perfect name! She is too cute.