Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Poor Baby

We had an accident yesterday, or rather, Aidan had an accident yesterday. In his attempt to lean over the side of his crib to see out his door and down the hallway, he leaned too far and lost his balance, tumbling headfirst and landing on the ground shoulder first. This resulted in some unconsolable crying for quite awhile, sobbing and drooling all over my shoulder. Finally, when I asked him what hurt, he put his hand over his right cheek/neck area. He didn't want me to touch it and he wouldn't move it. Josh came home from work. I called the doctor. After an exam and x-rays, we discovered little Aidan had fractured his collarbone.
I cried when I received the news. I couldn't help but feel guilty. If only I'd gotten to his room sooner. If only I'd woken up earlier. But alas, my if onlys can't change the outcome of what did happen. Luckily, the fracture is not all the way through the collarbone. He has a nice little crack about 1/4-1/2 way down from the top. It should heal on it's own in about 2 weeks. Other than give us a sling that he may or may not wear (may not is what Aidan prefers, although he does like the dinosaurs on it), make sure he doesn't fall again, and give him motrin and tylenol for pain, there's nothing we can do but sit and wait for it to heal.

He's taking it like a champ. He's obviously in pain, especially when he moves his shoulder, but he's still trying to play and climb. We just have a little extra cuddle time during those painful moments in the day, and I don't mind cuddle time. Josh is almost proud. He says Aidan is already taking after his daddy. His daddy had way too many ER visits growing up to make me comfortable with that statement.

Needless to say, the crib has been banned. Aidan has officially moved on to his big boy bed.

No comments: