Friday, June 24, 2011

Quinney's new hair

When Quinn was first born, he had a mass of black hair with blond highlights. I loved it. I especially loved the highlights, though I didn't hold out much hope that they would stay. And they didn't. But I thought for sure he would be my dark headed child. Not that Aidan doesn't have brown hair, but it was never black like Quinn's was, so I truly thought Quinn's hair would always be darker.

Though my hair has gotten darker with age, I was a blond haired child, and I've always wanted a blond haired child of my own. However, when I married Josh and took a look at all the heads in his family, I realized my blond haired child dream would probably never become a reality. The majority of heads in his family contain dark hair, and dark hair is a dominant gene.

A few months after Christmas, the hair on the back of Quinn's head started falling out. I fretted over this and tried to do everything possible from preventing this common ailment to baby hair. I finally just started hiding it by not photographing the back of his head or keeping hats on him.

When Quinn's hair started growing back, it was a much lighter color. I got excited, but I was hesitant to believe it was blond. However, I'm starting to believe more and more that it will at least be a dirty blond.
But remember how I said the back of his hair fell out? Well, that's true to this day, and while he has already had his first haircut, it wasn't enough to even it all out.

He's still very brown in the front, and is beginning to take on the look of a reversed skunk. I do think all the brown will eventually fall out because as of last week, he had a brown stripe of hair along the bottom of his head on the backside, and as you can see from the picture I took earlier today, that stripe is now gone. However, I decided to get out the scissors and help out his hair a bit.

Still not perfect, but a little more uniform, and gives him an entirely different look. I'm still getting used to it as I'm used to a dark headed baby with tons of hair, but it looks like I may get my blond child afterall.

No comments: