Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Kindergarten!

Yesterday, I dropped my first born off for his first day of Kindergarten. I can't believe he's old enough for this! Where, oh where did the last 5 years disappear to?? He was so excited to go! He popped right out of bed when we woke him, got dressed, ate his breakfast, and was itching to load up the car. But I had to take pictures first, of course.


Dressed and ready to go


Spiderman. Go figure.


One of my favorites.


He requested to make a silly face. I love this kid.


In front of his new school.


Sitting in the cafeteria waiting on his teacher to come pick up the class.


In the classroom.


At meet the teacher, the kids were asked to draw a family picture, and they were displayed by the first day of school. Aidan's in on the right side, top row, closest to the middle column. You will notice that on either side of himself, he drew a baby crawling. When asked about it, he said one was Quinn and the other was Little Lady. We've recently found out that she has a family member who has asked for custody and her homestudy is due Septembe 14. I don't know if that date will stick or not, but it appears as if Little Lady will only be with us for a matter of weeks now. I'm afraid Aidan's heart is going to break when she goes. He already considers her part of our family. I wish I could protect him from that hurt, but at the same time, it'll be a good teaching and growing moment for him as Josh and I guide him to look at it the situation through God's eyes and see the bigger picture.

Aidan's teacher talked forever. I expected to walk him in, take a couple pictures, and leave. I was there until 9:00. When it was finally time for me to leave, Aidan cried and cried. I did not expect this reaction from him at all. He has never before cared when I dropped him off. He clung to my leg, and his teacher had to hold him. I could hear him yelling "Mommy" all the way down the hallway. I had been doing good with my tears up until that point. Then they just fell.

When I picked him up, I got almost no information about his day from him. I would like to know why my child can remember every single minute detail from the current video game he's playing, but cannot remember anything about his first day of school?? I finally dragged out that he went to PE and talked about counting in 2's and 10's. He did not, however, get to play on the computers or go to recess. He was very upset about these two things. So upset that he did not want to get out of the car this morning and again was upset about me leaving. He didn't cry quite as much, but he was clingy and told me school is so boring because he didn't get recess or computers. I'm praying hard for him today. I'm praying they do get recess and that he meets a good buddy and that he finds something to love about school. Hopefully, they'll go to the library and computer lab soon because I know he'll love those two things. My goal for today is to find a Bible verse for him that is simple and easy to understand about God always being with him. I think he needs that comfort.

Aidan, I love you and I'm so proud of the boy you are becoming. I am praying for good days for you. Give school a chance. I know you'll love it once you do.

No comments: