Sunday, February 15, 2009

thankful for the small things...

Last night around midnight, I smelled smoke. I stood up in the living room on my way to bed and suddenly smelled smoke. Josh didn't smell it. I think he thought I was crazy at first. I didn't say anything, I just started walking around sniffing. He asked me what I was doing. I said, "Don't you smell that? Something's smoking!" We began our frantic search to discover the hot water heater in our laundry room was the culprit. It had caught fire due to exposed wire. Normally, I hate the fact that being pregnant causes me to smell every little thing, but last night, I was thankful for that fact. Josh didn't smell it until he was practically standing in front of it.

We have a hospital tour in about an hour in which no children are allowed to attend due to the nature of some of the questions that could be asked, so Aidan spent the night with Grammy and Papa last night. Another fact in which I am thankful. When Josh decided to flip the breaker, he wasn't quiet about it. I might add that the circuit breaker box is in Aidan's bedroom closet. Also, if the fire had spread further than the water heater, Aidan would have been safe at my parents' house.

Josh has planned on going out of town this weekend. He thought he was supposed to help lead a DiscipleNow. On Friday afternoon, he found out it's the weekend of March 14th, not February 14th. Thank goodness too! If Josh hadn't been home, I would have been asleep already and probably wouldn't have smelled it as early. If I did discover it, I wouldn't have had a clue what to do about it. I can just envision my dad appreciating a frantic midnight phone call about a fire in my house. Can't you?

So, all in all, it totally sucks that we have to purchase a new hot water heater, and that we can't take a hot shower until it's replaced, but I'm learning to focus on the positive. It's teaching me that God really does have a hand in the small things in life. Plus, I've been complaining to Josh for 2 years now that our hot water tank isn't big enough. Now, I get a brand new one!

1 comment:

Megan said...

try blacking out his window. it worked wonders for me.