Monday, February 14, 2011

Mr. Nutcracker

I meant to write this post last Thursday when all this happened, but I totally forgot until I was scrolling through my pictures today.

Last Thursday, as I was buckling Quinn into his car seat in order to take Aidan to school, Aidan started telling me that he saw a nutcracker. I had no idea what he was talking about, and kept asking him where he was seeing this nutcracker. He continuously pointed to the driveway while telling me it's over there. Finally, I heard a little pecking noise. I looked up into the tree next to our driveway and saw what Aidan was talking about.

He blends in with the tree, but look at the middle branch, and you'll see a little woodpecker about midway up. I wanted to crop these pictures to make him easier to find, but we can't access our editing software at the moment due to computer issues.
We stood for awhile and watched him jump around the tree and peck away. I thought seeing this bird in our own backyard was really cool. I've never seen a woodpecker before unless the Woody Woodpecker cartoons count.

Aidan named him Mr. Nutcracker at first. However, on the drive to school, we had a discussion about the difference between a nutcracker (it cracks nuts) and a woodpecker (it pecks wood), and he renamed him Mr. Woodpecker.

No comments: